I just had the opportunity to visit my own 90+-year-old parents. In watching them
deal with growing old, and trying to do so as gracefully as possible, I was reminded
of this wonderful list of “45 life lessons from a 90 year old”. Re-reading the list I
decided to post it to my blog, as it helps me put life and my own leadership into
Enjoy the introspection… See what speaks to you.
- Life isn’t fair, but it’s still good.
- When in doubt, just take the next small step.
- Life is too short not to enjoy it.
- Your job won’t take care of you when you are sick. Your friends and family will.
- Don’t buy stuff you don’t need.
- You don’t have to win every argument. Stay true to yourself.
- Cry with someone. It’s more healing than crying alone.
- It’s OK to get angry with God. He can take it.
- Save for things that matter.
- When it comes to chocolate, resistance is futile.
- Make peace with your past so it won’t screw up the present.
- It’s OK to let your children see you cry.
- Don’t compare your life to others. You have no idea what their journey is all
- If a relationship has to be a secret, you shouldn’t be in it.
- Everything can change in the blink of an eye… But don’t worry; God never blinks.
- Take a deep breath. It calms the mind.
- Get rid of anything that isn’t useful. Clutter weighs you down in many ways.
- Whatever doesn’t kill you really does make you stronger.
- It’s never too late to be happy. But it’s all up to you and no one else.
- When it comes to going after what you love in life, don’t take no for an answer.
- Burn the candles, use the nice sheets, and wear the fancy lingerie. Don’t save it
for a special occasion. Today is special.
- Over prepare, and then go with the flow.
- Be eccentric now. Don’t wait for old age to wear purple.
- The most important sex organ is the brain.
- No one is in charge of your happiness but you.
- Frame every so-called disaster with these words, ‘In five years, will this matter?’
- Always choose Life.
- Forgive but don’t forget.
- What other people think of you is none of your business.
- Time heals almost everything. Give Time “time”.
- However good or bad a situation is, it will change.
- Don’t take yourself so seriously. No one else does.
- Believe in miracles.
- God loves you because of who God is, not because of anything you did or didn’t
- Don’t audit life. Show up and make the most of it now.
- Growing old beats the alternative — dying young.
- Your children get only one childhood.
- All that truly matters in the end is that you loved.
- Get outside every day. Miracles are waiting everywhere.
- If we all threw our problems in a pile and saw everyone else’s, we’d grab ours
- Envy is a waste of time. Accept what you already have, not what you think you
- The best is yet to come…
- No matter how you feel, get up, dress up and show up.
- Life isn’t tied with a bow, but it’s still a gift.
Author: Regina Brett